We discussed in the College and Career Bible Study yesterday morning some obstacles to prayer in our life. We have been studying Colossians since last August and God has been so wonderful and faithful throughout this study. I just wanted to share the obstacles of prayer we discussed (these came from a sermon done by Pastor Bruce at Union Church with God adding upon His sermon while I studied God’s Word):
Seven Obstacles to Prayer (Pastor Bruce):
1. We don’t have a true relationship with Jesus. Our class talked about how there are so many who walked in aisle in the church but don’t know what they did or did it just because their friends were doing it.
2. Have a faulty view of prayer.
3. Be under spiritual attack. (Most Christians want to put their head in the sand and not talk about this one.)
4. Focused on “getting stuff” rather than being with God and following His Will for our lives. (We discussed how it would be if we only went to our parents when we wanted something and never went to just spend time with them and how that is what we do to God).
5. Too Proud: We want to be in control and asking for God’s help through prayer means giving up control.
6. View Prayer as a chore instead of a a joy (Do you see prayer as a duty to mark off of your Christian to-do list or as a chance to spend time talking and fellowshipping with your loving Savior?)
7. Things are going good why trouble God. I will contact Him if I am in trouble.
We discussed how all of us have to check up on ourselves to see if we have any of these obstacles or if any of them have crept into our lives without us realizing it has happened.
Have a great week and may your time with the Father be Precious.