Thursday, February 7, 2013

Disconnected in a Connected World...

I absolutely love how God works things out for us. 
Today's guest poster, Tammy Karasek wrote the perfect post for the "Let It Go" Blog Hop. 
The amazing part is she just wrote what God put on her heart, not knowing (to my knowledge) about the blog hop. 

Photo Credit: Dew Photography VA

How Can We Be So Disconnected in Such a Connected World?


            Have you ever given much thought to how many ways we are “connected” to people these days? Think about it. If we can’t walk over to someone’s house, we can drive. If we can’t drive, we can call. If we can’t call we can text. If we can’t text, we can write a note. If we can’t write a note, we can send an email. It’s enough to make you dizzy thinking of the many ways we can reach out and connect.
           
            Yet, sometimes even though we can do something, doesn’t always mean we do. Often someone will come to my mind and I think, “Oh, I need to call her.” Then I realize I can’t call right now because I don’t have time to talk long. So I’ll think, “I’ll just run upstairs, fire up the computer and send her an email.” But I will remember that I have to do X-Y-Z before I run out the door. I’ll just have to do it tonight when I get back in.

            And it never happens that night. Or the next, for that matter.

            Last year, I was feeling very overwhelmed of all the “doing” I was attempting and never quite feeling like I was accomplishing a thing. It was as if every time I crossed one thing off of my list, three were added before the ink was dry. I kept meaning to slow down and reconnect with friends. Really, I did.

            As the year continued on, the same scripture verse kept re-appearing boldly and in places I would not expect. Whether written on a painting, a sermon on the radio or even someone sharing it in a Bible study.

“Be still, and know that I am God.”
                                        Psalm 46:10a (ESV)

            Time went on and it became more and more evident that there was no way I was going to be able to “Be still, and know…” with all of the noise in the world. I kept thinking of people I wanted to connect with and trying to figure out how to squeeze it in. But I was so hooked on my electronic gizmos and gadgets, that there was no possible way I would ever be able to “Be still, and know…” Then it dawned on me. I was not connecting with the very One who craved my fellowship most.
           
            There was a huge decision to be made, something iHad to do and soon. It was that iHad to turn off the iPod, iPad, iPhone and iMac and turn on the Word of God. I needed to have communication with Him. It was “the” one that I was neglecting the most.

            To be able to re-connect with Him, I needed to return to praying. Not just praying every now and then when I remembered, but continually praying. The kind of communication that Paul tells us to do in I Thessalonians:

“pray without ceasing,”
                                                       I Thessalonians 5:17 (ESV)
            Since praying is how we communicate and connect with God, how in the world did I expect to be doing so when my mind was always preoccupied with all of my electronic devices sucking the life out of my brain and the time out of my day.
           
            Do I have it down perfect? No. Am I striving to fill more time with a sweet communion with God? You bet. My prayer for you is that you re-arrange your day around your electronic communication gadgets and let God take first place in communication and sweet fellowship.  And I’m working on re-connecting with friends face to face as well!

Meet Tammy: 


You can find Tammy seeing humor and laughter in every aspect of life and then telling all about it on her blog: http://tickledpinktammy.com.  Tammy’s rough childhood as a lonely, only-child who received much criticism from family is the driving force of her passion to always encourage others and make them smile.  She is a Christian who resides in Ohio with her husband of 31+ years, Larry.  They have a grown daughter, Kristen.   You can also connect with Tammy on her Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/tammy.karasek), twitter @tickledpinktam or e-mail: tickledpinktammy@gmail.com

8 comments:

  1. Dawn, I just love how God speaks straight to our heart through people that just allow Him to use them! I am re-arranging some myself! Great post!

    Melissa S OBS Leader group 33

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn, God's timing is perfect. I love how Tammy's post fits in so well with the Let It Go study.
    Tammy, you are so right, we need to connect to THE ONE and not get caught up in the day in and day out "doing". There are times that we just need to be still, give God the control and put Him first in our lives.
    Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dawn-
    Thank you SO MUCH for participating in the blog hop. Praying for all of us as we learn to stop trying to control and start trusting God. Have a great weekend and remember to LET. IT. GO. :-)
    {Hugs} Karen Ehman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The study and blog hop have been great thus far. I am looking forward to reading more of Let it Go

      Delete
  4. It's so easy to let the tech world overcome the spiritual... those things can certainly be used for good, but not to the detriment of neglecting the better. Thanks for this timely reminder - found you through RachelWojo's linkup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth: Thank you for stopping by. You are so right that we need to make sure the tech world does not overcome our spiritual walk.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving your comment and showing love to this blog.

In Christ,
Dawn
dawn.whitmore@comcast.net