Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Signs, Wonders and a Baptist Preacher: A Book Review


Have  you ever read a book, where at one time you liked it and at the next you disliked it?
I just finished reading "Signs, Wonders and a Baptist Preacher" and still am not sure how I feel about it.

At times, I was agreeing with the author, Chad Norris
 and at others scratching my head and thinking..."What in the world?!?!?!"

Here are a couple examples:

Norris states, "For most of my life, my Christianity has been defined by what I am not doing. I thought I was good with God because I did not have any gross sins in my life." This is a statement, in my humble opinion is true of a large portion of today's church and people who say they are 'Christians'

According to Norris, Luke 9:2 is proof "that following Jesus means to preach the Kingdom of God and heal the sick." I am not 100% sure if Luke 9:2 proves this is what following Jesus means for all believers. This is not to say healing the sick is not a gift from God, 
which is alive and well today in 2013. 

As I continued reading, I liked the fact Norris admits to people being uncomfortable with the gift of healing and how he understood this struggle because he had been there.

My own struggle continued as I read the book. 
Then Norris made a statement near the end of the book, 
which made me say, "OK he does get it..." 
What statement could that be? 
Here it is...

"This whole Kingdom story is about LOVE...

It is not about the healings or miracles in themselves.
 Healings come and go. 
Miracles are here and gone. 
However:

LOVE REMAINS"

If you are up for a challenge and want to have your mind exercised for awhile then pick up a copy of 
"Signs, Wonders, and a Baptist Preacher"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comment and showing love to this blog.

In Christ,
Dawn
dawn.whitmore@comcast.net