Monday, December 17, 2012

"Isn't It Time for a Coffee Break": Book Review


"Isn't it time for a Coffee Break?" caught my attention because of the word 'coffee'. Anyone who knows me understands my infatuation and love with this hot liquid gold. 

Amelia Rhodes covers a range of topics in this book to be released on January 1st, 2013 from 'good' to 'hospitality' in an easy to read style. There were times, I didn't completely agree with Rhodes but her discussion of true hospitality stuck with me. I even shared a hospitality example from her book. 

We just didn't see eye-to-eye on 'good'. Rhodes quotes her Pastor at one point, "Many of us want to be great, and because we want to be great, we look for something great...Meanwhile, all of these opportunities to do good go whizzing by."

My personal thoughts are many Christians miss God's best while being kept busy with 'good'.
Did this cloud my view while reading Rhode's discussion on 'good'?
Why do I ask? 

Because Rhodes says at another section in her book, 
"When God asks us to do things that are uncomfortable or unfamiliar, it isn't because He want to control or manipulate us. It's because He has an eternal view of our lives
 and knows what is best for us in the long run." (emphasis mine)

At other times, my heart resonated with understanding while reading. Such as when Rhodes wrote:

"For some reason, I felt the need to be the strong one, the one who holds everything together, who had the answers, who had the faith to withstand anything. It was exhausting..."

Rhodes explains how she gave up this exhausting behavior and learned the value of authentic relationships. She continues throughout the book with stories and examples of authentic relationships. 

 My recommendation: 3 1/2 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comment and showing love to this blog.

In Christ,
Dawn
dawn.whitmore@comcast.net